Remember those New Year’s resolutions you made? We’re now more than three quarters through 2017-so…how have you done? Are you among the just EIGHT PERCENT of people who actually follow through? Or are you among the remaining 92% who didn’t. It’s said that the “Road to Hell is paved with good intentions”. Add the “construction work of life” that inevitably gets in the way of our good intentions, and it’s remarkable that we get anything done at all.
The good news is there is a good DEAL of 2017 left! What are you going to do with it? Here are 5 ways of making the best …of the rest of the year:
- Scale back-choose goals that REALLY matter. One problem with setting goals during the new year, is that we invariably over-shoot. The relevance and urgency tied to a goal is directly proportional to the drive to achieve it.
- Set aside SOME time-preferably the same time of the day-to do SOMETHING to move yourself forward-even if it’s making one phone call (if you’re looking to expand your network). Don’t drop the pursuit just because you can’t do exactly what you intended. If you don’t have the time to run 3 miles-walk down the block and back.
- Goals should be just beyond your grasp, but in your sight. Sometimes breaking a “big hairy audacious goal” into small chunks with an appropriate reward works. That is: a triple decker sundae would probably NOT be an appropriate reward for someone looking to lose weight!
- The most accomplished athletes have coaches – get someone on your side. Even Marshall Goldsmith one of the world’s most prominent executive coaches…has a coach. Someone who can help you hold yourself accountable.
- Exercise your willpower. We’re learning more and more about how to do this. We know for example that willpower is depleted as the day goes on. We can develop more self control with some simple changes in our behaviour-but it requires focus. Try things like using your non-dominant hand ; you really have to be persistent.
It’s never too late to start in a positive direction for something that’s important to YOU. Start now.